Gimpy Finger....

Lesson Learned... "Listen To The Inner Voice!"

Thursday the 17th was one of those HORRIBLE days at the office. They are very rare, but this one was a doozy!

On my way home I had one thought, "Get on my bike and ride until my legs hurt a LOT, then ride 10 more miles!" However, being the "responsible" person that I am, I figured I better go to Youth Conference to support the 1 or 2 young men from my ward that might show up.

I was put in charge of the Volleyball station, and jumped in to help even up some teams. On one attempt to 'set' the ball I thought I jammed my finger. Been there, done that, annoying but no big deal. However serving it 2 more times it just felt weird, so I tried to 'un-jam' it and realized I couldn't move the tip. Not A Good Sign!


I got a hold of my Orthopedic Surgeon friend and described it to him, he told me I had "Mallet Finger" [mallet finger is a deformity of a finger caused when a certain tendon (the extensor tendon) is damaged. When a ball or other object strikes the tip of the finger or thumb, the force damages the thin tendon that straightens the finger. The force of the blow may even pull away a piece of bone along with the tendon. The finger or thumb is not able to be straightened. This condition is also known as baseball finger. (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00018)]

The good news was he told me I didn't have to go to the ER, just needed a splint for the next 8 weeks, so first thing Friday Morning, I head to the Dr. Office to get it looked at. Of course they would e out of the size splint that fits my finger, so have to make a temporary splint that is a bit on the huge side!


Fortunately I only had to wait a week to get one that wasn't obnoxious!


7 weeks to go! @sigh!

1 comment:

M+J=K3+E said...

Man, next time get the right finger :) and quit pretending to be young like me okay, haha!! Hope it gets better soon!!