Shelly - Update 2

Shelly spent 3 ½ in surgery to come out in great shape. Both doctors said she did fantastic. Dr. Anders was very pleased, but I did know she wouldn't be too happy about Dr. Jessop having to put an IV in her foot.

He told me he tried numerous times to place an IV in her arm (I saw the numerous puncture wounds identifying his attempts) he finally had to put one in her foot so that, just in case she needed blood, he would have a needle big enough to handle it.

Shelly was pretty groggy for most of the day. She spent a lot of time sleeping. When she wasn't sleeping, we (the nurses and I) learned a couple of things:
  1. Shelly was allergic to one of the anti-inflammatory medications causing her to break out in a rash.
  2. The Benadryl they gave her via IV to help with the hives made for some of the most entertaining conversation I have had in a very long time.
Shelly finally reached what I would call a "coherent" state around 5 or so in the evening and she tried eating for the first time. (again forgive the photo from the phone!)

Mmmm Broth and Popcicles!

Shelly got beautiful flowers from her cute friend Maurie, from my cute assistant Heidi, and from our cute neighbor Jenny.

Later that evening the kids came to see mom. They're having a hard time, of course, with mom not being at home.

The kids were cute, Kylee brought Mom a stuffed animal to keep her company,


Rylan brought mom "Doydle" and his "Truck Blanket" to sleep with. He almost NEVER parts with either, so it was a big deal for him to let mom have them for a time. (Click here to see how valuable the dog is to Rylan!)

Shelly and I spent the evening sleeping like babies, which meant we were in hard beds waking up wanting to cry every hour. If anyone was ever wondering, the "Chair Beds" that the make available for guests of the hospital to sleep in, SUCK ROCKS! Shelly had to have her vitals taken, and I can't sleep through that kind of interruption. And of course I had to deal with a problem at the hospital anyway around 4am... *sigh*

Thursday has been a much more productive day. Shelly has graduated to real food, had all of her IVs removed and got to show off her new nifty scar!


She also wanted to show off the number of bruises she ended up with during the attempts to find a place to stick an IV.


And, now that she's fully coherent (did I mention I miss the Benadryl?) it's a bit tougher to capture the moments with my camera!


She's up and trying to walk which is a bit of a struggle, but it'll be good for her recovery.

The thing that ultimately matters is that she's going to be OKAY.

2 comments:

M+J=K3+E said...

We are so glad that all went well...please do not hesitate to call if you need anything!

Crystal said...

I'm so glad to see that Shelly's up and about now! That looks just miserable!

And Marc, don't you have a little pull at the hospital? AMEN to the miserable pull-out "beds" for the guests to sleep on! What's with that? I'm hoping that the ones in the new Women's Center are better, but not counting on it! And for what it's worth, I think no vitals should be taken between eleven pm and six am. :)